“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God who said ‘Let light shine out of darkness’, has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” II Corinthians 4:5-6

Saturday, December 28, 2013

12/29/13 Sermon Extras


Many of the bloggers that I follow have been doing their top 10 books of 2013. I don’t think any of the books I’ve read this year were even written in 2013, so I’m going to tell you about a book that I am convinced should be in everyone’s top 10 of all time. While preparing for my sermon this week from Ephesians 5, once again I pulled this little book off my shelf and drank in the wonderfully simple truth of the work of the Holy Spirit. This is why I am writing this post. I wanted to share some quotes from this book that I will not have time for during my sermon. The book is John Owen’s The Holy Spirit. The one I use is the published by Christian Heritage with the introduction by Sinclair Ferguson.
 
Owen’s chapters on sanctification are simply the best, bar none. Here are a few wonderful quotes:
 
“The author of this sanctification is here (I Thessalonians 5:23) asserted to be God. He is the eternal spring and fountain of all holiness; there is none in any creature but what comes immediately from him; and therefore it is so emphatically expressed αυτος δε ο θεος  even God himself; if he does it not, no other can; it must be wrought by God himself. He does it of himself from his grace, by himself, or his own power; for himself, or his own glory; and that under this special consideration, as he is the ‘God of peace’.” page 246
 
 “The sanctification of the Spirit is peculiarly connected with, and limited to the doctrine, truth, and grace of the gospel; for holiness is the implanting, writing, and realizing of the gospel in our souls.” page 247
 
“There never was, nor is, nor ever will be the least particle of holiness in the world, but what flowing from Jesus Christ, is communicated by the Spirit according to the truth and promise of the gospel.” page 248
 
 “Carnal reason cannot conceive why good works should be performed, unless they are in some degree meritorious; for it has no regard to the authority of his command; nor to the necessity of the renovation of his image in us, in order to commune with him here, and enjoyment of him in glory; nor to his wisdom in appointing holy obedience, as  the means of expressing our gratitude to him, and of glorifying him in the world. But the first true saving light that shines by the gospel of Jesus Christ into our souls, begins to undeceive us in this matter.” page 252
 
 I know that Owen can be difficult to read. However, the chapters on sanctification in this book are very understandable. I’ve broken down his statement on our obedience to the promises as follows:
 
 The 4 L’s
 
Learn the Gospel
Love the Gospel
Live by means of the Gospel
Leave temptations by the beauty of the Gospel
 
People often ask, “How do I grow in holiness” or “How do I glorify God more”.
My answer: "The 4 L’s."

No comments:

Post a Comment