“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God who said ‘Let light shine out of darkness’, has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” II Corinthians 4:5-6

Friday, January 24, 2014

New Sermon Series



A few weeks ago I started preaching through the Gospel of Luke. As a pastor, I experience so many blessings. The blessing of serving with people to spread the good news of Christ. The blessing of being able to minister to people who are hurting. The blessing of praying for my people. And, the blessing of preparing sermons! I love that fact that I get to study the text hard, and bring it before the people of God and share with them the amazing truths of scripture.

We are only a few weeks into the book of Luke, and already I've been blessed by studying it. There are many things that I read and study that do not find their way into my sermon. Time simply does not allow for it. But, these things often bless me, as much as the ones that I end up preaching about.

This week we'll be dealing with the genealogy found in Luke 3. There are a ton of technical things to study in regards to this passage of scripture. I'll post a few things that I've found helpful or interesting, and maybe you'll find them to be helpful and interesting.

My sermon is titled: "Jesus the Son of God; the Son of Man"

I won't be dealing to much with the different theories as to why Luke and Matthew's genealogies differ so much. Instead, the bigger crazier thought is not the difference between these two genealogies, but that Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully man! I love the quote in Grudem's Systematic Theology when he says:

"It (the incarnation) is by far the most amazing miracle of the entire Bible- far more amazing than the resurrection and more amazing even than the creation of the universe. The fact that the infinite, omnipotent, eternal Son of God could become man and join himself to a human nature forever, so that infinite God became one person with finite man, will remain for eternity the most profound miracle and the most profound mystery in all the universe."

The goal of this weeks sermon is to worship! Above the thoughts of entertainment, relaxation, sufferings, physical demands, and relationships may we worship Christ this weekend! Oh that the Spirit would fix our eyes on Christ!

If you live in the Sky valley, we'd love to have you worship with us this weekend. Sunday School starts at 9:00am and our Worship service starts at 10:00am. If you'd like more info please feel free to email pastorveal@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment