“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God who said ‘Let light shine out of darkness’, has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” II Corinthians 4:5-6

Friday, August 14, 2015

Mr. Standfast's Speech



“This River (death) has been a terror to many, yea, the thoughts of it also have often frighted me; but now methinks I stand easy, my foot is fixed upon that upon which the feet of the Priests that bare the Ark of the Covenant stood, while Israel went over this Jordan.

 The waters indeed are to the palate bitter, and to the stomach cold; yet the thoughts of what I am going to, and of the conduct that waits for me on the other side, doth lie as a glowing coal at my heart.

 I see myself now at the end of my Journey; my toilsome days are ended. I am going now to see that Head that was crowned with thorns, and that Face that was spit upon for me.

I have formerly lived by hear-say and Faith; but now I go where I shall live by Sight, and shall be with him in whose company I delight myself.
 
I have loved to hear my Lord spoke of; and where-ever I have seen the print of his shoe in the earth, there I have coveted to set my foot too.
 
His Name has been to me sweeter than all perfumes.

His Voice to me has been most sweet.

His Countenance I have more desired than they that have most desired the light of the Sun.

His Word I did use to gather my food, and for antidotes against my faintings.

He has held me, and I have kept me from mine inequities; yea, my steps hath he strengthened in his Way.”

~John Bunyan, “The Pilgrim’s Progress”

In honor of Esther Rust,
1927-2015


No comments:

Post a Comment